Stewarton railway station
is a railway station
in the town of Stewarton
, East Ayrshire
. The station is managed by First ScotRail
and is on the Glasgow South Western Line
The station was opened on 27 March 1871 by the Glasgow, Barrhead and Kilmarnock Joint Railway
. The station closed on 7 November 1966, however it reopened on 5 June 1967. In April 2007 a 'Ticket Issuing Machine' was installed in recognition of the relatively high passenger levels.
Operations to reinstate a second line between Stewarton and Lugton started in 2008. With the work completed in September 2009, the second platform was reinstated, the pedestrian underpass re-opened and full disabled access provided.
Stewarton opened for goods traffic on 23 March 1871 and closed on 5 October 1964.Lindsay, David M. E. (2002). G&SWR Register of stations, routes & lines
. G&SWR Association. Part 3.1, Page 4
The station lay 19.02 miles south of the old terminus, Glasgow Saint Enoch.Lindsay, David M. E. (2002). G&SWR Register of stations, routes & lines
. G&SWR Association. Part 6.3, Page 18
The station had a basic hourly service each way (including Sundays) to Glasgow
and , with some southbound trains... Read More