The Great Synagogue of Stockholm
(, ), is located on the small street Wahrendorffsgatan close to the park Kungsträdgården
, and was built 1867-1870 according to designs made in 1862 by the architect Fredrik Wilhelm Scholander
. The building has been called a "paraphrase over Oriental motifs" (Nordisk familjebok
26, col. 1470 ), and it is listed in the Swedish registry of national historical buildings. It was preceded by an earlier synagogue at Tyska Brunnsplan
in the Stockholm Old Town
(now 19, Själagårdsgatan
), used 1790-1870, and services were held in an even earlier location on Köpmanbrinken
in the Old town 1787-1790.
The Judiska biblioteket,
the Jewish Community Library
, under the guidance of Lars Raij, is located beneath the Great Synagogue of Stockholm. Its multilingual collection consists of books in Swedish, German, English, French, Hebrew, and other languages. It includes the library of Rabbi Marcus Ehrenpreis (1869–1951), who was Chief Rabbi of Sweden from 1914 to 1951. The Library also hosts occasional exhibits, such as the 2007 exhibit of the Friedrich Kellner
which chronicles the years of the Third Reich
and the Holocaust
of European Jewry
- , s.v. "Synagoga"
- , s.v. "Stockholm"
- from Museum of the Jewish People