Stockport Grammar School
is a co-educational independent school
, founded in 1487 by the 1482 Lord Mayor of London Sir Edmund Shaa
The school motto is "Vincit qui patitur" – He who endures, conquers.The current Headmaster of the Senior School is Mr Andrew H Chicken, B.A., M.Ed. The current Headmaster of the Junior School is Mr L Fairclough, and the Head of Sixth Form is Mrs J White.
The initial site for the school was St Mary's Church in the town, where a select number of wealthy boys were taught to read and speak Latin. Since then the school has occupied various sites, its current site being a mile from the town centre on the A6
(Buxton Road) on the edge of Davenport
, next to the site of the now demolished Davenport Theatre, a famous venue for many of the North West's top variety stars. The school has occupied this site since 1916. The school is the oldest in the north of England.
Since becoming co-educational in 1980 the school has developed and grown rapidly. Acquisition of the adjacent convent school site, that is now the English and Music block, allowed the enclosure of the playing fields and the creation of several football and rugby pitches.
In 1997 land was bought to extend the Junior School, and in 2001 a new sports and technology centre was built featuring a gymnasium and sports hall. Food Technology and Textiles Technology classrooms were also erected. The building further includes a Design Technology workshop... Read More