Stoke Newington Church Street
is a road in north London
in the borough of Hackney
. The road links Green Lanes
(A105) in the west to Stoke Newington High Street formerly Ermine Street,
in the east. First noted in 1329
, it was recorded as Newington or Newton Lane in 1403
, then Church Street in 1576
and as the current name from 1937
, making it now the longest street name in Greater London
With its many attractions, the street and surrounding area is now a destination for visitors from across the world. Abney Park
, an arboretum
cemetery, has an entrance on the street as does Clissold Park
. Also on the street is the municipal town hall and assembly hall of the old Borough of Stoke Newington
, both now being refurbished.
There are two churches on the street, both known as Saint Mary’s. The first was built in 1563
and was partially rebuilt in the 19th Century and then again in the 1950s after heavy bomb damage during World War II
. The second, newer, church is the impressive 19th Century with its 250-foot steeple.
The street has become famous for its large number of public houses
providing a diverse range of food, drink and entertainment. Some are widely renowned with a good reputations while others offer basic or fast food.
There are a number of licensed venues serving alcohol and hosting live music. For entertainment Ryan’s Bar and the have live music licences. The Daniel Defoe
pub (named after a former resident) offers a good range in... Read More