The Stort Navigation
is the canalised
section of the River Stort
running from the town of Bishop's Stortford
downstream to its confluence
with the River Lee Navigation
at Feildes Weir
near Rye House
The first act of parliament relating to this river is entitled An Act for making the River Stort navigable, in the counties of Hertford and Essex, from the New Bridge, in the town of Bishop Stortford, into the River Lea, near a Place called the Rye, in the county of Hertford
, and appointed certain persons commissioners for carrying into effect the provisions of the act.
However, there was difficulty in raising sufficient money for construction, and a second act was passed in 1766 entitled An Act for making and continuing navigable the River Stort, in the counties of Hertford and Essex
. The second act empowered Charles Dingley, George Jackson
and William Masterson to build the Navigation and to collect tolls.
In 1796 Jackson issued a Stort halfpenny token
for use on the Navigation. The reverse shows the course of the river with a horse drawn barge in the foreground. It was struck by Matthew Boulton
in mid-1796, despite the date on the piece (1795). Heinrich Küchler was the designer.
In 1812 and 1814 Acts were passed in Parliament to connect the River Stort to the River Cam, the new waterway was to have been called The London and Cambridge Junction Canal. However the canal was never... Read More