The first station on the site was opened as Stratford Bridge in 1846 on the Eastern Counties and Thames Junction Railway between Stratford and Canning Town stations. It served a local fruit and vegetable market and was renamed Stratford Market in 1880. The station closed in 1957 due to lack of traffic and the proximity of the larger Stratford station, which was also served by other lines.
The line through the station site to North Woolwich closed in 2006 for works to start on conversion to DLR operation.
The red brick station buildings from the original station still stand on the south side of Stratford High Street. The new station will have two platforms.
The station is located on Stratford High Street. It will be provided with footbridge connections to Bridge Road and Burford Road in order to provide access to the surrounding areas. In order to locate the station here Bridge Road has been permanently closed to vehicles except for emergency access. This avoided the need to take land from Rokeby School whilst also... Read More