The Street Naming Committee
was a committee set up to decide the names of the streets, the squares and the river of the new settlement of Adelaide
, South Australia
, as it had been laid out by Colonel William Light
in 1837. Light's map corresponds to the modern Adelaide central business district
(CBD) and the nearby suburb of North Adelaide
. The committee met on 23 May 1837.
With a very few exceptions, the original names have been retained, although a large number of streets have since been added, particularly in the CBD. Brown Street and Hanson Street have been subsumed into Morphett Street
and Pulteney Street
respectively. Roberts Place has been renamed Sir Edwin Smith Avenue.
For the most part the names are of prominent pioneers or people who otherwise made some notable contribution to the founding of South Australia. Some exceptions are due to Governor Hindmarsh and Judge Jeffcott wishing to name streets after their friends. Strangways Terrace was named after Thomas Bewes Strangways, a committee member who was also a prospective son-in-law to the Governor. More controversially, Archer Street was to have been named Willoughby Street, after Sir Henry Willoughby, a British member of parliament
who had initially opposed the South Australia Bill, but was later won over and convinced others also to change their votes. Through the Governor's interference, the name was changed to Archer, after a landowner who had given him some sheep. O'Connell Street and Kermode Street were named... Read More