Sturdi-Bilt toy trucks were designed, assembled and distributed by the Sturdi-Bilt Toy Company in Norway, Oregon, a lumber town near Coquille, Oregon
and 18 miles south of Coos Bay, Oregon
. Casting was done by both the Pacific Die Casting Company and later the Product Engineering Company
(PECO), both in Portland, Oregon
. Through a royalty arrangement, PECO also distributed and sold Sturdi-bilt trucks outside the four Western states. Production started in the Spring of 1950, and is estimated to have ceased in 1955 or 1956 due to the entry of lower priced toys to the market. Sturdi-Bilts are similar in size and heft to the Smith-Miller trucks produced in California, and those produced in Salem, Oregon
, All American.
Sturdi-Bilt Toy Company
Sturdi-Bilt Toy Company was founded in 1949 by Mr. Enno J. Dornath. The production facility was located along Highway 42 between Coquille and Myrtle Point, Oregon. The original factory can be found at the intersection of Highway 42 and Old Norway Road. Mr. Dornath was a self-taught fabricator and tinkerer with an extremely well developed mechanical aptitude. He is described as someone who could conceive and then produce very complicated production machinery.
As a log truck driver, Mr. Dornath hand-built a log truck for his son, Larry, as a Christmas gift in 1948. The truck was most likely constructed using a Structo cab, and he built the rest from wood. ... Read More