(or Sutkagen Dor
) is the westernmost known archaeological site of Indus Valley Civilization
. It is located about 480 km west of Karachi
on Makran coast near the Iran
border in Baluchistan
. This site is near the western bank of the Dasht and its confluence with a smaller stream, known as the Gajo Kaur.
Sutkagan Dor was discovered in 1875 by Major E. Mockler, who conducted a small excavation here. In 1928, Aurel Stein
came here as a part of his Gedrosia tour and conducted a small excavation. This site was excavated by George F. Dales
from October 7 through 20, 1960 as a part of his Makran Survey.Possehl, Gregory L. (2004). The Indus Civilization: A contemporary perspective
, New Delhi: Vistaar Publications, ISBN 81-7829-291-2, pp.79-80.Over here a structure was found which was made from stone and mud bricks and was made without straw. Some of the latter was large which was around 50 centimeters long. the base was 7.5 centimeters.Many flint blades have been found here which measure 27.5 centimeters but it had no cores.Many vesels made from stone
have been found here too.
This site measures approximately 4.5 hectares. Along with the usual "citadel" and "lower town", a massive fortification wall of semi-dressed stones exists. This citadel wall varies in height and thickness due to the irregular contours of the natural rock foundation, but at one point about midway... Read More