The current Swindon Town Hall, England
was built in the late 19th century to be a centrepiece of New Swindon
, powers transferred to it from the Old Town Hall in 1891.
The Whole building is currently used by SWINDON DANCE a National Dance Agency. But parts of the lower floor, previously occupied by Swindon Reference Library, remain vacant.
First town hall
Until the erection of the Corn Exchange
and Town Hall
in Old Swindon, the Goddard Arms
was used. This small pub
was up until 1820 a small cottage alehouse named the Crown
and had been owned by the Goddards
In 1750 a large assembly room was built adjoining the pub and it was thereafter used for balls
, the Court Leet
, the Magistrates' Court
, County Court
house and even as a booking office for the Great Western Railway
before the eventual construction of Swindon railway station
When the Lord of the Manor
wanted to call people together to discuss matters of importance, he did so at the Goddard Arms. It was used in this fashion in the early 19th century by Ambrose Goddard to call meetings on the progress of the Wilts and Berks Canal
Old Town Hall
In 1848, it was decided to build a Market Hall in Old Swindon. This plan was not carried out until 1852 when the Swindon Market Company
was formed to oversee construction.
The new market house was designed to also provide accommodation for the County Court, Petty... Read More