The Swiss Academies of Arts and Sciences
is a Swiss
organization that supports and networks the sciences at a regional, national and international level. It is a cooperative organ for four distinct Swiss academies of different kinds:
- the academy for the natural sciences (SCNAT)
- the academy for the medical sciences (SAMW)
- the academy for the humanities and the social sciences (SAGW)
- the engineering academy (SATW)
The two Centres for Excellence TA-SWISS
and are also member of the Swiss Academy of Arts and Sciences.
Forums and platforms allow the Academy to adopt an interdisciplinary approach to various topics, and to strengthen the disciplinary national and international network. The Academy also coordinates the sciences among the universities in Switzerland, while cooperating with institutions for the promotion of research, such as the Swiss National Science Foundation
, as well as with the Swiss Academies of Sciences. At a regional level, too, scientific topics are brought to the attention of a large public. This task has been assumed by the cantonal and regional associations, which organise lecture series supported by the Academy and produce publications.
The Academy’s main activities
- Foresight of socially relevant topics
- Raising awareness of the ethical responsibility of the sciences
- Promoting a balanced dialogue between science and society.
The earlier, the better. This especially applies if topics are to be identified that are of major... Read More