When Takeley was first registered by the Normans in 1086-87 its boundaries were approximately 8 miles (13 km) in length, with a total area of 3,000 acres (12 km²). However, since the development of Stansted Airport, it has lost nearly a third of its land. Takeley consists of several Ends and Greens, namely Brewer's End (Briar's End), The Street, Smith's Green, Bamber's Green (Bambrose Green), Molehill Green (Morrell's Green), Mill End and Cooper's End. Cooper's End has since been demolished and the cargo area of the airport now stands on the ground once occupied by the settlement. The access to and from the airport at Cooper's End was closed briefly in January 1991 but was re-opened in November of that year. Cooper's End roundabout was developed during the construction of the new airport terminal and is placed just west of the terminal.