is a subdistrict
of North Jakarta
. It hosts the western part of the city's main harbour
, the Port of Tanjung Priok (located in Tanjung Priok Subdistrict and Koja Subdistrict). The Subdistrict of Tanjung Priok is bounded by Laksamana Yos Sudarso Tollway - Kali Sunter canal to the east, Kali Japat - Kali Ancol - The former Kemayoran Airport to the west, Sunter Jaya Road - Sunter Kemayoran Road to the south, and Jakarta Bay to the north.
Before human development, the coastal area of what is now Tanjung Priok was an area of brackish
water with swamp and mangrove
forest. The area was later developed in late nineteenth century as a new harbor of Batavia to replace the Sunda Kelapa
harbor area to the west that had become too small for the increased traffic resulting from the opening of the Suez Canal
. The construction of the new harbor was started in 1877 by Governor General
Johan Wilhelm van Lansberge (1875-1881). The new harbor was named Tandjong Priok. Several facilities were built to support the function of the new harbor, such as the Tanjung Priok Station (1914).Cobban, James L. 1985. The ephemeral historic district in Jakarta. Geographical Review
Tanjung Priok is variously spelled in history as Tandjong Priok, Tandjoeng Priok, Tanjon Preeq.
Tanjung Priok was the site of a widely-publicized incident on September 12, 1984, when army forces fired on a group of Muslim protesters. The... Read More