was the name of a Manning Wardle 2-6-2T
locomotive which was built in 1898 for Lynton and Barnstaple Railway
was scrapped in 1935Taw
, like all the locomotives on the L&B, was named after the River Taw
, a local river with a three-letter name.
The tradition of naming L&B steam locos after local rivers continues into the 21st Century, with Lyd
, a replica of Lew
(the fourth locomotive built to this basic design), operational on the Ffestiniog railway
and the Welsh Highland Railway
A 7.25 inch gauge verision of Taw
was built by J. Horsfield in 1999 and runs on the Eastleigh Lakeside Railway.
Closer to the L&B, the railway's trust currently owns one steam locomotive - renamed Axe
- which, although it did not serve on the historic L&B, has been restored for use on the new line, currently based at Woody Bay. Read More