The Lettie Pate Whitehead Evans Administration Building
, commonly known as Tech Tower
, is a historic building located at 225 North Avenue NW
in Midtown Atlanta
, and a focal point of the central campus of the Georgia Institute of Technology
(Georgia Tech). Erected in 1888 and named the Academic Building
, Tech Tower was one of the first two buildings to be completed on the Georgia Tech campus. Tech Tower was built as a venue for classroom instruction to complement the hands-on training taking place in the shop building beside it. Since the razing of the shop in 1892 following a disastrous fire,
Tech Tower derives its nickname from a prominent seven-story central tower dominating the building's facade
and visible from many parts of the Georgia Tech campus and surrounding area. Lighted signs in the shape of the word TECH
hang atop each of the tower's four sides. A number of times, Georgia Tech students have accomplished the arduous task of stealing the letter 'T'
from one of these signs, a prank now strictly forbidden by Institute officials despite prior attitudes to the contrary.
Tech Tower has achieved local, cultural, and historical significance in the century since its... Read More