is a complex of three locks
and a weir
on the River Thames
in England at Ham
in the western suburbs of London
. The lock is on the southern Surrey
side of the river.
The river downstream of the lock, known as the Tideway
, is tidal
, though the Richmond Lock barrage
downstream limits the fall of water to maintain navigability at low tide. The boundary point between the Port of London Authority
, which is the navigation authority downstream, and the Environment Agency
, which is the navigation authority upstream is marked by an obelisk
on the Surrey bank a few hundred yards below the lock.
The lock complex consists of three locks, a conventional launch lock, a very large barge lock and a small skiff lock. The barge lock has an additional set of gates in the middle so it can operate in two sizes.
The large bow shaped weir stretches across to Teddington
from an island upstream of the lock which also acts as the centre point for the two bridges making up Teddington Lock Footbridge
Construction of the first lock started in 1810 after the City of London Corporation
obtained an Act of Parliament
allowing them to build locks at Chertsey
and Teddington. The lock was further upstream than the present lock complex at the point where the footbridge now crosses. It opened in June 1811 and the weir was completed by the end of that year. By 1827 the timber
lock needed considerable repair and in 1829 the weir was destroyed by an accumulation of ice.... Read More