: टिहरी गढ़वाल) is one of the largest districts in the hill state of Uttarakhand
, India. Its administrative headquarters is at New Tehri
. The district has a population of 604,747 (2001 census), a 16.15% increase over the previous decade. It is surrounded by Rudraprayag District
in the east, Dehradun District
in the west, Uttarkashi District
in the north, and Pauri Garhwal District
in the south.
The name Tehri
has been derived from Trihari
, signifying a place that washes away the three types of sins - sins born out of Mansa, Vacha and Karmana or thought, word and deed, respectively. Garh
Prior to 888 AD, the region was divided into 52 garhs which were ruled by independent kings. These garhs were brought into one province by Kanakpal, the prince of Malwa
. Kanakpal, on his visit to Badrinath, had met the then mightiest king Bhanu Pratap who later married his only daughter to the prince and handed over his kingdom to him. Kanakpal and his descendants gradually conquered all the garhs and ruled the whole of Garhwal Kingdom
for the next 915 years, up to 1803.
Tehri Garhwal The Imperial Gazetteer of India, 1909, v. 23, p. 269. or Garhwal Kingdom, was a princely state, ruled by the Panwar (Shah) dynasty. Later, it became a part of the Punjab Hill States Agency of British India, which consists of the present day Tehri Garhwal District and most of......