Joseph Terry became a partner in the confectionery business of Robert Berry in 1823. Robert Berry died and his son left the business in 1828. Joseph Terry then was left to expand the business before his death in 1850. The business was further developed by his son, Joseph Terry junior. Joseph Terry and Sons moved to the current site at South Bank in 1926. Terry’s was taken over by Kraft in 1993. They closed the York factory on 30 September 2005.
Terry's factory site
Now called The Chocolate Works, development company Grantside Ltd has consulted local people on how to develop the site. A previous bid by the company to develop the site was rejected by the City of York Council.