apartment building, located at 1615 Q Street NW in Washington, D.C.
, is a landmark in the Dupont Circle
neighborhood and the District's tallest residential building.
The -tall brick building was designed by architect Thomas Franklin Schneider
and completed in 1894 as the city's first "residential skyscraper
". Today, the Cairo is a condominium
building, home to renters and owners of apartments ranging in size from small studios to multi-level two- and three-bedroom units.
The Egyptian theme of the building is stamped across its Moorish
and Romanesque Revival
perch high above the front entrance; some are winged griffins
staring down from cornices, and others are more lighthearted. Along the first floor are elephant heads, which look left and right from the stone window sills of the front windows and which interlock trunks at the corners of the entrance arch. On the fourth floor are dragon and dwarf crosses. The carved stone facade hints at more exotic Middle Eastern origins.
The U-shaped building surrounds a Zen
stone garden courtyard
. The stone front steps lead up through a glass foyer into a marble-floored lobby with Egyptian columns and a lounge. A large mirror and photographs of the building's construction and other contemporary scenes adorn the lobby's eastern wall. Two square columns of red-orange marble anchor the space in front of two elevators, which serve the tenants of the 12 floors above. Between the elevators is a... Read More