The Carey School
is a private elementary school with grades PreK–5 located in San Mateo, California
. It was founded in 1928 by the parents of Clare Carey Willard and her sister, Mary Therese Carey. Before it became a relatively big school, it was in a house located on El Camino Real. Prior to 1993, it provided schooling from Pre-Kindergarten through 8th grade. During financial difficulties, the less profitable middle school was closed. Now it is only an elementary school.
Annual events are held every year. Some of these are the end-of-the-year Operetta, the Careyfest Halloween carnival, and a trip for students to Saratoga Springs. Children are being added every year.
In 2006, there were 233 students. There are also teachers for each grade and specialty class. There are also assistant teachers, cooks, and administrative assistants.
The principal is Eric Temple, who started in 2004. John Loeser, the Director of Studies also started in 2004.
The school mascot is the eagle.
- Founded in 1928 on Clark Drive in San Mateo, now located on Alameda between 24th and 25th St in San Mateo
- Phase 1: 1928 - 1955: Mr. Carey
- Phase 2: 1955 - 1989: Mrs. Willard and Ms. Carey ran the school
- Phase 3: 1989 - 2003: Mr. Bob Simpson ran the school
- Phase 4: 2004–present: Mr. Eric Temple (now under a board of trustees)
- Library: Literature& Technology: Books and Computers; able to borrow from San Mateo......