The station sits on part of the site once occupied by The Hawthorns Halt which was opened by the Great Western Railway in 1931, on their line from Birmingham Snow Hill to Wolverhampton Low Level. It served football specials and as such was not deemed worthy of 'station' status. It consisted of three platforms: platform 3 catering for return travel to Stourbridge, with platforms 1 and 2 being sited the other side of Halfords Lane. The halt closed in 1968.
Pedestrian and vehicular access is via Halfords Lane.
Its passenger numbers are assisted with free parking and its close proximity to Junction 1 of the M5.
Extra services are laid on around the time of football matches to assist fans in travelling to and from the match.