, located in Ho-Ho-Kus
, New Jersey
, is a fourteen-room Gothic Revival home built in 1847-48 from designs by William H. Ranlett for Elijah Rosencrantz, Jr. Members of the Rosencrantz family owned The Hermitage estate from 1807 to 1970. The site was designated a National Historic Landmark for the excellence of its architecture and added to National Register of Historic Places in 1970.http://www.nationalregisterofhistoricplaces.com/nj/Bergen/state3.html NEW JERSEY - Bergen County], National Register of Historic Places
. Accessed November 9, 2007. In 1971 is was added to the New Jersey Register of Historic Places.
In 1767, the original colonial estate was purchased by Ann Bartow DeVisme who moved to Ho-Ho-Kus from Manhattan
with five children. One of Ann's daughters, Theodosia Bartow Prevost
, and her husband James Marcus Prevost
, occupied another house on the property, downhill from the present structure, nearer to the mill ponds. During the American Revolutionary War
, while Major (later Lieutenant Colonel) Prevost was fighting for the British
and South Carolina
, the women and children were left alone in Ho-Ho-Kus.
In July 1778, word reached Theodosia that George Washington
and his troops would be passing through Ho-Ho-Kus on their way from the recent battle at Monmouth Courthouse
to White Plains
in Westchester County, New York
. When the General and his... Read More