In the mid 18th century, there was a market outside Kowloon Walled City. To maintain a fair trade, a group of local Chinese set up a common scale and collected service charges from users for charity services such as free medical consultantion and burial services. In 1880, the Lok Sin Tong Benevolent Society, Kowloon is officially registered as a charity organsiation.
In the late 18th Century, with the outbreak of plague, the Society set up a free graveyard at Fei Ngo Shan, Sai Kung to bury those poor dead. In 1927, it founded a first free school for girls. Since then its service has expanded into education, social welfare and medical care.