The Royal Scotsman
is a Scottish
luxury charter train
run by Orient-Express Hotels Ltd.
The train is composed of nine cars; two dining cars, five state cars, one crew car, and one observation car.
The two dining cars are named 'Victory' and 'Raven' with seating for sixteen and twenty people respectively.
The observation car
was converted from Pullman
Kitchen Car - 'Snipe' - built in 1960
by Metropolitan Cammell
. Along with the other Pullman
cars, Amber, Pearl, Topaz and Finch they were acquired by GS&WR (Great Scottish and Western Railway Co.) in 1989 and converted into the observation saloon and passenger sleeping cars.Pullman
car Raven, acquired at the same time as the other Pullman
cars, was converted in 1992 as a replacement for the Gresley
car that formed the kitchen. The Gresley car was damaged in a shunting incident on depot and as a wooden (Teak) bodied vehicle was deemed unsafe to continue passenger operations and was withdrawn from mainline service.Carriage data
<br />Train Length (including locos) varies depending on loco type used<br />Train Length (excluding locos) 618 feet<br /><br />
- Observation Lounge Car 99965 Pullman Car E319 “Snipe”
- Dining Car 1 99967 Pullman Car E317 “Raven”
- Dining Car 2 99131 Ex LNER SC1999 “Victory”
- State Car No.1 99961 Pullman Car E324 “Amber”
- State Car No.2 99962 Pullman Car E329 “Pearl”
- State Car No.3 99963 Pullman Car E331 “Topaz”
- State Car No.4 99964 Pullman Car E313 “Finch”