, also known as the Tower entrance to the Narragansett Casino
is a historic structure located on Ocean Road in Narragansett, Rhode Island
. It is the only remnant of the Narragansett Pier Casino
built in the 1880s. On November 25, 1969, it was added to the National Register of Historic Places
The Narragansett Pier Casino was the center of social life in Narragansett during the late 19th century. The Narragansett Pier Casino rivaled the Newport Casino
’s popularity as a resort for the social elite until it burned to the ground in 1900.
Built between 1883–1886, the Narragansett Pier Casino was a fine example of Victorian Shingle Style
architecture, designed by McKim, Mead, and White
. The Casino offered a variety of sports, including boating, tennis, billiards, bowling, cards, and shooting, restaurants, stores, reading rooms, a theater, a bandstand, a ballroom, and a beautiful beach.
The Narragansett Pier Casino thrived during the Gilded Age
until it burned down during the Great Fire of September 12, 1900. That day, a fire broke out in the neighboring Rockingham Hotel. The flames spread quickly to the Casino, leaving only the granite walls of The Towers standing.
Today, having survived a number of fires, nor'easters, and hurricanes, the Narragansett Towers are the only remaining part of the original Narragansett Pier Casino. One of the most recognizable landmarks in Narragansett, The Towers currently hosts weddings, dances,... Read More