The Winnipeg Grenadiers was an infantryregiment of the Canadian Army formed on 1st April 1908 under General Order No. 20. Initially it was raised with Headquarters at Morden, Manitoba and companies at: ‘A’ Company at Morden, ‘B’ Company at Morden, ‘C’ Company at Manitou, ‘D’ Company at Carmen,‘E’ Company at Roland, 'F’ Company at Pilot Mound, ‘G’ Company at Cartwright and ‘H’ Company at Boissevain. The unit did not have any active personnel enrolled at the formation.
On 1st February 1910 all companies and headquarters were moved to Winnipeg. On 2nd May 1910 the designation was changed to the "100th Winnipeg Grenadiers". The first officers were gazetted to the Regiment on 18th May 1910. Lieutenant-Colonel Henry Norlande Ruttan who came from the Retired List commanded the Regiment on organization (General Order No. 57 (HQ 32-1-107)). The Regiment was reorganized under General Order No. 120 (1915) on the 1st October 1915 to an establishment with four companies.