TCNN was constituted on November 26, 1958 and came into being in February 1959 when classes started at Gindiri. TCNN moved to its permanent site at Bukuru and was dedicated in 1961. TCNN started with two programmes, the Diploma of Theology and Certificate in Theology (now Diploma in Christian Ministry).
TEKAN was founded by the National Daughter Churches of the Sudan United Mission and the Church of the Brethren Mission. In 1980 the college started a Bachelor of Divinity programme along with the other two programmes. In September 1991 the college began to offer Master's degrees in theology.
The college is overseen by Tarayar Ekklesiyoyin Kristi a Nigeria" (TEKAN, The Fellowship of the Churches of Christ in Nigeria). TEKAN is made up of eleven denominations found mostly in the northern part of the country. It is these denominations, which are the proprietors of the college, along with the Anglican Dioceses of Nigeria and the Presbyterian Church, which are associate members of that proprietorship.