Third Lanark Athletic Club
was a football
club that originally existed from 1872 to 1967, based in Glasgow
. Third Lanark were known as Thirds, the Warriors, the Redcoats or the High-High (the latter owing to the "High High High!" chant from their fans).
Originally one of the good clubs of early Scottish Football, Third Lanark were far from being the first major Scottish football club to be declared bankrupt and dissolved – former Scottish Cup winners Renton
and their neighbours Vale of Leven
suffered similar fates, although the latter were resurrected as a junior side later – but their demise was considered a shock, because they had finished third in the top division during the 1960-61 season, scoring 100 goals in the process.
Third Lanark started as the football team of the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers
, part of the Volunteer Force
. Known as 3rd LRV
. The name was changed to Third Lanark AC in 1903, when official links with the military were severed. The club was a founder member of the Scottish Football League
. They had also won the league championship in 1904
, as well as winning the Scottish Cup
in 1889 and 1905
and the Glasgow Cup
in 1903, 1904, 1909 and 1963.
Third Lanark played at Cathkin Park
. This was previously known as Hampden Park (the second of three grounds to bear this name), before Queen's Park
sold it to Third Lanark and moved to a new stadium of the same name
. Cathkin Park is currently owned by Glasgow City Council
, and,... Read More