The Thomas Hedley Co.
was a company based in Newcastle upon Tyne
. It was founded in 1837 by two businessmen, Thomas Hedley and John Green, who set up a manufacturing facility on the city's City Road. Tyneside was able to provide a ready source of sheep, which was a source of the main ingredient (tallow) in the production of both products.
Thomas Hedley himself died in 1890 and the business was carried on by his son. In 1898 the company became a limited company
by issuing shares. In 1917 and 1918 the company expanded by acquiring the soap makers James Dyson & Co. of Elland
in Yorkshire, and John Pickering & Sons Limited of Birmingham
The company continued to expand its City Road site. At the time City Road was primarily a residential area, and the expansion was a slow process, as Thomas Hedley had to buy a single property at a time. The City Road site continued after the company's acquisition, in 1930,Hale, Lionel (1953) Hedley of Newcastle: a profile
. Newcastle upon Tyne: Hedley & Co.,, by Procter and Gamble
, and Thomas Hedley's Newcastle roots prompted P&Gs presence on Tyneside
. Other Hedley plants were in Manchester and West Thurrock
- Hale, Lionel (1953) Hedley of Newcastle: a profile. Newcastle upon Tyne: Hedley & Co.