is located 313 km north of Perth, Western Australia
on the Midlands Road. Wheat
farming is the main industry.
The first Europeans to pass through the Three Springs area were Lieutenant George Grey and his party in 1839. The next exploration of the area in 1846 was undertaken by brothers Henry, Francis and Augustus Gregory
. This was a government sponsored trip to seek out new ‘runs’ for stock.
During 1867, while surveyor Charles Cooke Hunt
was undertaking a road survey, he recorded the words ‘Three Springs’ at the site of the current town after some nearby springs. The name began to appear on official maps from then on and land in this region was soon taken up for pastoral leasing.
When the Midland
railway from Midland Junction to Walkaway
was opened in 1895, Three Springs was a siding on the line, and the area really opened up.
In 1907 the government decided to declare a townsite adjacent to the Three Springs Station, and it was gazetted as Kadathinni
in 1908.Jarvis, Neil (1986) Western Australia, an atlas of human endeavour
Perth, W.A.: Dept. of Lands and Surveys in association with the Education Dept. of Western Australia 2nd ed. ISBN 0730900827 Previous ed.: Perth, W.A.: Government Printer, 1979. p. 46 It was also intended to change the name of the station when the townsite was named, but this was overlooked, and it remained Three Springs. The townsite was also locally known as Three Springs
, and in 1946 the name was... Read More