Tite Street is named after the architect William Tite. He was a member of the Metropolitan Board of Works, responsible for the construction of Chelsea Embankment to the south of Tite Street and some railway station buildings.
During the 18th century, Gough House stood on the eastern side of the street. It became a school in 1830 and then the Victoria Hospital for Children in 1866. The hospital moved to St George's Hospital, at Tooting in south London, and the original building was demolished in 1968. The site is now occupied by St Wilfred's convent and home for the elderly.