Tongham railway station
was a railway station serving the village of Tongham
which opened in 1849 and closed in 1937.
The station was opened in 1849 by the London and South Western Railway
(LSWR) as one of two intermediate stops on a now-closed section of the LSWR's Guildford to Alton line
. Tongham station, along with Farnborough
, was one of the first railheads for the military traffic associated with the recently established army camps at Aldershot
. Its significance was drastically reduced, both as a station and as part of a through route, with the opening of Aldershot railway station
in 1870 on a new more direct line from Pirbright Junction on the London to Basingstoke line
which linked with the Guildford to Alton line between Tongham and Farnham
, effectively bypassing the short section. This was followed in 1879 by the laying of a spur from Ash
to Aldershot which had the effect of diminishing the Guildford
to Farnham traffic.
Although a short branch was laid from Tongham to serve the nearby Aldershot Gas Works in 1898, the line became a forgotten byway and was singled in 1930. Passenger services ceased in 1937 as a consequence of electrification of other lines in the vicinity, but Tongham remained open to serve the Gas Works until its closure in 1954. With the closure of the Gas Works,......