is a place in the London Borough of Wandsworth
in south London
It is named after Bec Abbey
in Normandy, which was given land in this area (then part of the Streatham parish) after the Norman Conquest. Saint Anselm
, the second Abbot of Bec, is reputed to have been a visitor to Tooting Bec long before he succeeded Lanfranc
as Archbishop of Canterbury
. Saint Anselm gives his name to the modern Roman Catholic church which sits on the corner of Balham High Road and Tooting Bec Road. Reliefs of Saint Anselm visiting the Totinges tribe (from which Tooting
as a whole gets its name) are visible in Wandsworth
Tooting Bec sits on Stane Street
, a former Roman Road
which linked Roman London
to the southwest.
Tooting Bec appears in Domesday Book
of 1086 as Totinges
. It was held partly by St Mary de Bec-Hellouin Abbey and partly by Westminster Abbey
. Its domesday assets were: 5 hide
. It had 5½ ploughs
, . It rendered £7.
The area includes Tooting Commons
, which features Tooting Bec Lido
, the largest fresh water pool in England
as well as a small athletics stadium. Often considered part of Tooting
, it forms the northern part of the latter suburb.
band Hanoi Rocks
wrote the song "Tooting Bec Wreck" about their experiences living there in the early 1980s.
In August 2010, the online alternative cricket commentary service relocated their international media headquarters to Nunhead
from... Read More