TPP Nikola Tesla
is a power plant
complex operated by EPS
, located on the right bank of the river Sava
, approximately 40 km
upstream from Belgrade
, near the town of Obrenovac
. By far the largest one in Serbia
, the complex generates around 16 TWh
annually (see 1 E16 J
), which covers almost half of Serbia's needs for electricity. The complex and two of its plants are named in honor of Nikola Tesla
These power plants use lignite
mined from the Kolubara
basin as fuel. Coal is transported from the mines via a normal-gauge railroad
about 30 km long capable of supplying a total of 37 million tons
of coal a year.
The complex has four power plants:
TPP Nikola Tesla A
Six generation units with a combined capacity of 1502 MW that makes it the largest power facility in Yugoslavia
. TPP Nikola Tesla A was first synchonised on March 27, 1970. It has two chimneys: one with a height of 220 metres and a second with a height of 150 metres.
TPP Nikola Tesla B
Located between the villages of Skela
. There are two generation units with a total capacity of 1160 MW. TPP Nikola Tesla B was first synchonised on March 11, 1983. Its chimney is 280 metres tall.
Located on the right bank of the river Velika Morava
near the town of Svilajnac
. 120 MW Power Generator.
TPP Kolubara A
Located at the edge of Kolubara coal basin in the village Veliki Crljeni
. Capacity 245 MW.