There is also a small airport and two ferries that connect with the state of Minas Gerais crossing the artificial lake of Emborcação.
Três Ranchos began as a port in 1887 on the Paranaíba River and as a place where diamonds were found. The name comes from three houses, really huts, that served as a resting place for the cattle drivers who passed through the region. With the railroad the settlement grew until it was raised to the category of district in Catalão in 1948. In 1953 it was dismembered becoming a municipality with the name Paranaíba de Goiás. Shortly after the old name Três Ranchos was restored.