The Kingston upon Hull tramway network
was a network of tram lines following the five main roads radially out of the city centre of Kingston upon Hull
, England. Two of these lines went west, and two east. The fifth went to the north, and branched to include extra lines serving suburban areas. Additionally a short line linked the city centre to the Corporation Pier
where a ferry crossed the Humber estuary
to New Holland, Lincolnshire
The early tramway system was worked from 1876 by horse power by the Hull Street Tramways company
, except on the eastwards Hedon Road route which was operated by steam power from the outset by the Drypool and Marfleet Steam Tramways Company
after 1899. Both companys were acquired by the city council in the final years of the 19th century, and the routes electrified and converted to double track, and operated as a municipal concern.
The City of Hull Tramways
(later known as the Corporation Tramways
) expanded the electrified tram network along the main roads of Hull up to 1927 when the tram system reached its greatest size.
Between 1937 and 1945 the system was converted to trolleybus
operation. The Hull trolleybus system
worked on the same paths as tram system, with the exception of the Hedon Road and Corporation Pier branches which became diesel bus operated. Later, all trolleybus services were replaced with diesel powered buses.
Hull Street Tramways
In 1871, soon after the Tramways act of 1870
became law, permission was sought from... Read More