The Tramway de Cannes
was a tramway
system in the French
city of Cannes
.The tramway operated in 1900 and stopped in 1933.
At the end of the XIX<SUP>th</SUP>, Cannes' population went on increasing and several public transport projects appeared. The first was a horse drawn omnibus serving Cannes from 1874. These buses operated until the arrival of the tramway in 1899.
The 8 February 1898, after many municipal debates, the Compagnie des Tramways de Cannes
(CTC), a subsidiary of the Omnium Lyonnais, and on 3 January 1899 and 20 February 1900 two decrees declared the utility of a line from La Bocca to Golfe-Juan
and from Antibes
The network of lines spread over 20.24km. The main line ran parallel to the Mediterranean
, leaving La Bocca, traversed Cannes
by the Rue Félix Faure, Route d'Antibes then skirted the seaside towards Golfe-Juan et Antibes. The Cannet line began on Place Félix Faure, then reached the PLM station
by the Rue de la Gare and the Boulevard Carnot. The Vallauris line started at Vallauris Church, joined the Route de Golfe-Juan and ended at the Gare de Golfe-Juan
Construction began in 1898 before municipal authorisation. The La Bocca to Golfe-Juan and Cannes to the Cannet lines opened on 25 February 1899
On 21 February 1900, the line from Antibes to Vallauris opened. Running was operated as to link La Bocca to Antibes and extending services from Vallauris to Golfe-Juan into Cannes.
The lines were built as single... Read More