is a Chrysler automobile
factory in Trenton, Michigan
. The factory opened in 1952 and was expanded in 1969.Trenton engine was the site chosen for production of the 2.2 L four cylinder engine
which debuted in 1980 in the K-cars
. The factory was expanded again in 1985 with a $150 million investment to add production of the 2.5 L four cylinder
in a area formerly used for production of the Chrysler Slant 6 engine
In 1988, Chrysler sold much of the machining equipment, as well as a license to the design, to First Auto Works
. The Trenton plant largely switched to the new Chrysler 3.3 engine
production, while FAW continues to build the 2.2 to this day.
DaimlerChrysler reportedly invested $297 million in 2005 to expand the Trenton Engine plant to prepare to build a new 4.0 L version
of the SOHC V6
and to revitalize the 3.8 line.
The Trenton Engine Plant produced all B and RB Chrysler Big Block V-8 Engines (361, 383, 400, 413, 426 and 440 cu. inch) from their introduction in 1957 until their demise in 1979.
Chrysler announced in 2010 that Trenton North will be kept open to produce engine parts. The investment of 114 million dollars will employ about 268 workers.
Trenton Engine South
In 2007 Chrysler announced a new engine plant to produce the Pentastar V6 engine. The plant replaced the existing Trenton Engine Plant. It has the annual capacity of 440,000 engines.