is a town in Pest County
. In 2001 Tura became a city.
Tura lies between the Great Plain
and Mátra Hills, in the Galga Valley.
The Bagi Junction of the M3 motorway
and primary route 32 (from Jászfényszarú
) serve the town.
Express and stopping trains of the Hungarian State Railways
serve the town on the Budapest
Around the end of the 19th and start of the 20th centuries the MÁV (Hungarian State Railways) employed more and more people in Tura and it became a railway town
The first mention of Tura is as in a charter () of 1220. At that time the Ákos family owned the town. In 1425 one of the family's descendants, Miklós Ördög Prodavizi, gave the estate to King Sigismund
() in exchange for other properties.
A charter of 1523 mentions that the settlement levied its own taxation. In 1544, after the capture of Buda
by the Ottoman Empire
three years earlier, Tura came under Turkish rule. The town was never emptied and its church survived that period. Even though in 1594 Simon Forgách
won in battle against the Turkish army, the Turkish still ruled Tura for centuries more. In 1633–34 the settlement was mentioned as a Turkish town with two taxable lands. At the end of Turkish rule there were only 61 families in the town.
In the 18th century Tura's population started to grow because of agriculture. Trade improved and people sold their goods in the Buda, Pest
, Miskolc, Hatvan,... Read More