is a district in the north eastern state of Manipur
. It lies about 84 km kilometers to the North East of Imphal
It was marked out first as a Sub-Division in 1919 during the British Raj
. It was later upgraded to a full-fledged district, bearing the nomenclature of Manipur East District in November 1969 by the Government of India
. The District now has five Sub-Divisions which are co-terminous with the five Development Blocks. In addition to these administrative units the District has four Sub-Deputy Collectors Offices.
Geography and transport
The district Headquarter, Ukhrul is linked with Imphal
, the state capital by national highway 150. The national highway No. 150 also links Ukhrul with Kohima via Jessami. It has the distinction of being the highest hill station of Manipur.Besides the national highway 150 there are many district road and village road amongst them, Ukhrul-Kamjong, and Ukhrul-Phungyar Road are the main metelled Road of the district. The soon to be completed Tampak- Ngashan (Mahadev)- Pfutsero road connects the western part of the district with the district head quorters.Ukhrul as a town not only stands for administrative head qourters but it is also a place where all the traditional institutions of the Tangkhuls are located. The Town is home to about 75000 people from all works of life.
Ukhrul District is best known for the Shirui Lily, (Lilium mackliniae
Sealy),... Read More