The Union Jack Club
is a residential London
club for members and veterans of the British Armed Services
(and their families), including serving members of the Volunteer Reserve Forces
, below commissioned rank. Located near Waterloo Station
, the club has over 300 rooms for accommodation (single, twin, double and small flats), a restaurant, bar, small library and function rooms.
The idea in creating the club came from Ethel McCaul
, a Royal Red Cross
nurse who was served in field hospitals during the South African War
at the start of the 20th century. The Prince of Wales laid the foundation stone of the club in July 1904 and later as King Edward VII
with Queen Alexandra
officially opened the club in July 1907. The original Edwardian
building was located at 91 Waterloo Road
and was completed at the end of 1904.
During World War II
, the area around Waterloo Station
was heavily bombed and the club was damaged. In 1970, it was decided to demolish the original building and to construct a completely new one. Demolition began in 1971 and building started in 1972. The club's new premises opened on 16 October 1975. It was formally opened by the Patron-in-Chief, Queen Elizabeth II
, on 12 February 1976.
In more recent years, the Union Jack Club would make rooms available, at a reasonable cost, to members of the Civil Service who have business visiting or working within Government departments in Central London.
The club's main entrance is now in Sandell Street off Waterloo Road