The District of South Carolina was one of the original 13 courts established by the Judiciary Act of 1789, 1 Stat. 73, on September 24, 1789., Federal Judicial Center. It was subdivided into the United States District Court for the Eastern District of South Carolina and the United States District Court for the Western District of South Carolina Districts on February 21, 1823 by 3 Stat. 726. The Eastern District was headquartered at Florence,, Federal Judicial Center. and the Western District was headquartered in Greenville., Federal Judicial Center.