is among the nation’s finest and most extensive collections of contemporary poetry. It is the largest such collection which is "open shelf."
History of the Collection and the Center
The University of Arizona Poetry Center
was founded in 1960 by Ruth Stephan as a place "to maintain and cherish the spirit of poetry." The Poetry Center's mission is to promote poetic literacy and sustain, enrich and advance a diverse literary culture. Now an internationally renowned poetry library, the Poetry Center sponsors numerous programs, including readings, lectures, classes and workshops, writing residencies, writers-in-the-schools, writers-in-the-prisons, contests, exhibitions and online resources, including standards-based poetry curricula.
An area of special emphasis within the College of Humanities, the Poetry Center is open and fully accessible to the public. In Fall 2007, the Poetry Center moved into a landmark building named for Tucson arts patron Dr. Helen S. Schaefer. The Poetry Center's new building, designed by Line and Space, LLC, makes the Center's entire collection of contemporary poetry fully accessible for the first time in decades. The facility also provides beautifully designed meeting and gathering spaces for the Center's extensive literary programs and activities.Ruth Stephan and the Early History of the Poetry Center
Ruth Walgreen Stephan (1910–1974) was a writer and philanthropist who began visiting Tucson in the 1950s. She grew up in......