The Universität Erlangen Nürnberg
( or FAU
) is a university
in the cities of Erlangen
. It is the second largest state university in Bavaria
, having five Schools, 308 chairs
, and 12,000 employees. There are 28,735 students enrolled (winter semester 2010/2011) at the university, of which about 2/3 are in Erlangen and 1/3 in Nuremberg. There are about 2,500 foreign students.
The university was founded in 1742 in Bayreuth
by Frederick, Margrave of Brandenburg-Bayreuth
, and moved to Erlangen in 1743. Christian Frederick Charles Alexander, Margrave of Brandenburg-Ansbach
(one of the two namesakes of the institution) provided significant support to the early university.
From the beginning, the university was a Protestant
institution, but it slowly secularized. During the Nazi era
, the university was one of the first that had a majority of Nazi supporters
in the student council. In 1961 the business college in Nuremberg was merged with the university in Erlangen, which led to the present state of a university divided between two towns. A technical faculty was inaugurated in 1966 and the pedagogical college in Nuremberg became part of the university in 1972.
In February 2007 the senate of the university decided upon a restructuring into five faculties . Since October 2007 the FAU consists of:
- School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Theology
- Law School, School of Business and Economics
- Medical School
- School of......