The College of Agricultural and Environmental Sciences
) is a college within the University of Georgia
(UGA) in Athens
, United States
Originally the state agricultural college, CAES was founded in 1859 by the University Board of Trustees as part of a complete reorganization of the University. It was the first college at the University of Georgia to accept women, beginning in 1918. There are three main campuses—Athens, Tifton, and Griffin. All three campuses are home to various research stations and extension programs. The main Athens campus buildings are Conner Hall, the Edgar Rhodes Center for Animal and Dairy Sciences, and the Four Towers Building. Off-campus sites include barns on South Milledge Avenue, the UGA Teaching Dairy, Double Bridges Farm, the UGA Livestock Teaching Arena, and the Wilkins Beef Unit. Additional research centers are located in Attapulgus, Eatonton, Camilla, Savannah, Blairsville, Calhoun, and Plains. Georgia's Agricultural Extension has programs in 157 of Georgia's 159 counties and five 4-H centers for youth that are located in Hampton, Jekyll Island, Eatonton, Tybee Island, and Dahlonega.
Conner Hall Centennial Celebration
In 1906, Georgia Representative James T. Conner of Bartow County introduced a bill that led to the building's construction. Conner Hall was built in 1908 to house the Georgia State College of Agriculture and the Mechanical Arts. It was first known to the University as Agriculture... Read More