The University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law (University of Maryland School of Law) is the second-oldest law school in the United States by date of establishment and third-oldest by date of first classes. The school is located on the campus of the University of Maryland, Baltimore in Downtown Baltimore's West Side. The school was founded in 1816 as the Maryland Law Institute and began regular instruction in 1824. Due to its location in downtown Baltimore, Maryland, Maryland Law is part of the District of Columbia–Baltimore legal and business communities.
In 2003, the law school moved into a new, state-of-the-art facility at 500 West Baltimore Street on the west side of downtown Baltimore near the Inner Harbor and Oriole Park at Camden Yards. who previously was a faculty member at Temple University Beasley School of Law, and is a national leader in legal education and an expert on jury participation, the courts and diversity. In 2011, the law school received a $30 million donation from the W.P. Carey Foundation, which is the largest gift in the school's history. In response, the law school changed its name to the University of Maryland Francis King Carey School of Law.... Read More