Pharmacy was first taught at the University of Michigan in 1868 in the College of Literature, Science and the Arts. A School of Pharmacy was established December 29, 1876, the first in a U.S. state university. In 1916 the School was renamed the College of Pharmacy. The College is a member of the University’s prestigious Health Sciences consortium.
Although it is an integral part of the larger institution, the College of Pharmacy has an enrollment of approximately 300 Pharm D. students and 70 graduate students. has set the educational standards for the practice of pharmacy. The University of Michigan College of Pharmacy is a member of the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy (AACP). The University of Michigan's Doctor of Pharmacy program is accredited by the American Council for Pharmacy Education,
John Jacob Abel (PHARM: Ph.D. 1883) North American “…father of pharmacology”.