The University of Nebraska at Kearney
(UNK), founded in 1905 as the Nebraska State Normal School at Kearney
, is the Kearney
campus of the University of Nebraska system
In March 1903, the Nebraska State Legislature
appropriated $50,000 to build a normal school
in western Nebraska
. In September of that same year, after 111 ballots, the State Board of Education accepted the city of Kearney's offer of and Green Terrace Hall at the western edge of the city to become the site. On October 18, 1904, the cornerstone of the first building was laid; in the summer of 1905, offered its first classes in Kearney public school facilities. The first classes on campus were held that fall as the building was being completed around them.
In 1921, the name of the institution was changed to Nebraska State Teachers College
. In 1963, it became Kearney State College
. Both name changes were a part of system-wide changes for the state colleges.
In 1989, a legislative act moved the institution from the Nebraska State College System
to the University of Nebraska system. After a Nebraska Supreme Court review, Kearney State College
became the University of Nebraska at Kearney on July 1, 1991. Before the affiliation with the University of Nebraska, Kearney State was often referred to as "K State", which is the same informal name as Kansas State University.
State Representative C.J. Warner of Waverly
introduced the 1903 bill creating the institution; his son, State Senator Jerome Warner
,... Read More