The University of Oregon Museum of Natural and Cultural History
, commonly known as the UO Natural History Museum
, is an American natural history
museum at the University of Oregon
. Located near historic Hayward Field on the east side of the UO campus, it is the largest natural history museum between Seattle and San Francisco and a center for archaeological and paleontological research in the Pacific Northwest and the wider world. The museum headquarters and public spaces are located at 1680 East 15th Avenue in a distinctive and beautiful building inspired by the design of Pacific Northwest Native longhouses.
The museum traces its origins to the creation of the University of Oregon (UO) in 1876, when state geologist Thomas Condon was hired as one of the first three UO professors, bringing his extensive fossil collection with him. The Oregon State Legislative Assembly created the Oregon State Museum of Anthropology (OSMA) at the UO in 1935, under the direction of archaeologist Luther Cressman
. In 1936, the Condon Museum and State Museum of Anthropology were folded into the newly created UO Museum of Natural History, also directed by Luther Cressman.McClure, Sarah B. and Jon M. Erlandson (editors). 2008. Oregon: Where Past is Present
. Eugene: Museum of Natural and Cultural History, University of Oregon. Since Cressman retired in the 1960s, the museum has had a series of distinguished directors, including J. Arnold Shotwell, Alice Parman, Don... Read More