The University of Pittsburgh School of Law
("Pitt Law") was founded in 1895, and became a charter member of the Association of American Law Schools
in 1900. One of 17 schools constituting the University of Pittsburgh
, the School of Law has roots as far back as 1843 when a law department at the university was founded despite the fact that the chief method of legal education in America was apprenticeship.
Classes were held in a stone building at Third Street until the building was destroyed in the fire of 1845 and were then held in the university's building on Duquesne Way until that building was burned in 1849. Classes were continued after the second fire in the basement of the Third Presbyterian Church until the universities first law professor, Walter H. Lowrie
, was elected to the Supreme Court of Pennsylvania
in 1851 and forced him to abandon his teaching at the school. This, along with the fires that destroyed many of the university's facilities and resources, disrupted the development of the School of Law.
Although various attempts were made to reestablish law instruction beginning in 1862, a permanent law school was not established until 1895. The university at that time was named the Western University of Pennsylvania, but despite this, the law school was originally named... Read More